EJBA Government Notes April 2017
- New Orleans Airport does it again: Vacation Express has expanded service to Cancun for a limited time in May through June.
- British Airways has begun year round service to London from New Orleans.
- Financial Website, SmartAsset reports New Orleans ranks No. 1 for growth in technology jobs in the nation, and No. 5 for women in tech.
- Southern Living Named New Orleans “One of the South’s Best Cities” in creating the best guest experience for visitors and locals.
- Pontiff Park in Old Metairie has now opened their own Dog Park
- Louisiana State Legislative Session began April 10th. The biggest issue is the budget. Governor Edwards has released his recommendation to balance the budget concentrating on: a) New Commercial Activity Tax on gross annual receipts, b) Raise state’s gasoline tax for roads and infrastructure c) Improvements to sales tax uniformity headed by Julie Stokes, Representative from Jefferson Parish.
Areas of interest will be the $440,000 short fall for this fiscal year ending July 1, 2017 AND
$1.3 Billion Loss in 2018 from the additional .01cent sales tax imposed for the short term.